Chemical engineers don't have to reveal --which foods contain their test-tube engineered genes.
Seeds: belong --not to any one person -country -corporation, but to humankind --unless something 'unique' is done to a seed, for which it can, unfortunately, receive patent from US Patent office. Monsanto and other chemical corporations decided: there's money to be made splicing -dicing -engineering genes of one plant --inserting into seed of entirely different species of plant = screwing with nature, AKA producing frankenfood. e.g., tomato made to last as long as a pesticide-grown apple = months --without mildew or flavor. Nutritional value? Unknown. Affect on human organs -blood -brain -fetus? Unknown.
Round-UpR is a toxin that will kill weeds --birds --fish --wildlife --humans, most probably all life. It is so powerful: chemical corporations that make such toxins should not be allowed to put into market --without first showing Proof of safety, but they are -they do. In a bad joke, Some corporations have created genes resistant to such toxins and inserted those into food crop seed --without obvious detection or labeling --until now.
What are you eating?
What's eating you? If you live in California: you have unique opportunity to Know what's in the fresh -packaged -frozen food you purchase from supermarkets. Proposition 37 on the ballot November 6, 2012 election asks: Do you want food labels to state contents contain GMO --genetically modified genes?
Even if you're 'turned off' on who should be the next President --have 'no opinion' if a millionaire's daughter decides how taxes get spent on schools, Prop 38 --any other issues up for vote: if you want to Know what you're eating --want Labels to state if food contains genetically modified organisms, GMOs, sign up --show up to Vote.
You can have your say --If you vote. Register to vote NOW --on-line -or pick up registration form at library -post office --deadline to sign up: October 19
Vote: 1st Tuesday of November
Man-made genes inserted into crops --safe? No one anywhere has answer --altered genes haven't been around long enough to Know --short-term, long-term affect. We only know: cancer rates are soaring. Want to be Monsanto's guinea pig? They most probably would like to use your body to find out.
Can GMOs generate cancer cells in humans? I could post photos of rats fed GMO-foods --with large tumors all over the body --such photos exist. I'm not interested in emotional appeal, I will not post gross photos of gross diseased animals. I do not know veracity of those photos or claims.
I do Know: if Nature wanted a particular gene IN a particular seed, that vegetable -fruit -nut -grain gene would BE inserted --in one of many natural ways, nothing to do with test tubes or corporate profit.
Nature did not invent Round-Up weed-killer; Nature does not create genes to react to that which it did not create.
3rd World Country?
If Prop 37 wins: FDA will likely require all food packaging in the US to list GMOs id on label --as in 40 countries. US far behind Europe -Asia -South America GMO labeling. We can do better.
If listing GMOs on the label fails to win in California: to avoid GMOs
- buy produce --not in cans -frozen -packaged goods from supermarkets, but: fresh --directly from local farmer --farmer's markets held locally, every day, all over --in every state
- buy 'old': varieties of produce from heirloom seeds, e.g., heirloom tomatoes --multi-colored tomatoes with funny shapes -unusual colors, not perfect looking --loaded with flavor; not tasting like cardboard, stripped of flavor to 'hold up' over long periods, not bright from gas during transport
- ask the farmer: pesticide -herbicide -any commercial farms near-by with crop 'drift' -how they control insects -mildew -disease? If you aren't satisfied with the answers move on
- In California: ea produce stand must post papers at front of booth: read the material;
- if papers not posted: report the seller to market's manager, or note grower's name and call in complaint later to county which oversees farms
- start a petition on-line --such as at Care2mail e-mail website, it's free (and great e-mail service)
- write to FDA
- write to your representative in Congress: they don't hear from you = don't know you care
- contact your friends -co-workers -neighbors -PTA to work together on food labels in your state
If you think original/organic food without pesticide -herbicide -genetically modified organisms costs too much compared to 'super'market food: buy more medical insurance, You will need it.
Sign up to Vote --THIS week
Bookmark this page
e-mail this page
- Are you California voter: check status (opens in new window)
- Sign up to Vote: registration form signed & mailed by 5 pm Friday - October 19, 2012
Note: Sign the form or you will NOT be registered to vote, form discarded
- Labeling engineered food Sacramento Bee
- Prop 37 measure --in PDF and something wrong with my system, can't post -copy/paste link: